Monday, November 17, 2008

My Choice

I was on my way home last week and I passed a house on Old Orangeburg road that was Griswald decked out for CHRISTmas. I could not help but think Wow they sure are in the spirit. It is not even Thanksgiving yet. But as I passed the house it hit me.CHRISTmas is almost here again. Is time racing past me like a whirlwind. It seem just a few weeks ago I was teaching Cole and Johah how to swim, now it is cold and CHRISTmas is popping up every where.
At work we have a increased of depression that happens around the Holiday, most people are worried about money and with all good reason, others are just wishing it will be over soon.
All this has caused me to stop and think a bit. It has been a long time that I have enjoyed the season. Daddy died 2 months before CHRISTmas in 2005, and that pretty much tugged on the heart strings, then the next CHRISTmas mama was gone, then the next one after that we lost Kenny, so all in all for me it has been 3 CHRISTmas's that have had a sad overtone to it.
Well frankly I am sick and tired of being Sad. Satan has done a great job of robbing us of the joy not only in our everyday life's, but also in our loss'
We have pulled away from the reason we even celebrate this time year by allowing the worry and and losses to cloud our thoughts and our hearts.
I heard a Pastor say once that everything we experience we choose how we will allow it to affect us. Satan may cause some problems but not without Gods permission to do so, and I feel that God then looks at us and waits for us to CHOOSE HIM.
Satan says you have no money to buy gifts Jesus says choose me I am the gift.
Satan says you are having a hard time and you can not enjoy life anymore and Jesus says my yoke is easy and my burdens are light if you chose me.
Satan says your heart is sad and things will never be the same Jesus says I make all things new choose me.
But for most of us we Choose to be worried, and sad and depressed and just wish that this time of year will go away. Where would we be if it had never come?That thought is to fearful to even think about.
How guilty I am that I have fallen into the trap that Satan has so cunningly set to make me less effective as Christians by using my on emotions against me.
Well for me this season I am packing up my gloomies and putting them in a box under my tree 'For real' if you come to my house you will find a box under my tree that will say on it gloomies.
I am going to pull out my tree and all my decor and heck I may even buy some more ( dont tell Neil ) I am going to the parade all three of them even if I have to go alone. I will be breaking out my CHRISTmas CD's and I will put a song in my heart. I am going to be with my family the ones that I can and I will tell them how much I love them and how much Jesus loves them. I mailing CHRISTmas cards even to those I dont like :):):)
I am going to watch Charlie Brown, and all those movies that make me laugh.
I am sure there will be times this will get hard but I owe it to Christ to show the joy of my salvation, and how thankful I am that we even have this season. I know that I can never repay Him for what he has done for me but I can put my best foot forward for Him. I am going to ask Him everyday to remove any sadness from my heart and to help me focus on the season.
I love you Mom and Dad and Kenny.but this year it wont be about you, you will be celebrating a birthday in heaven and I bet that will be a great party, one that I will get to see first hand one day, but for me this time this year I CHOOSE Jesus.

2 comments:

Jeffcoat House said...

YES, YES, YES: I am glad you are coming out of your holiday funk- if I can be a little selfish. It's sad how often we forget God has us here to bless others not to bury our heads in the sand (or hang a "Humbug" sign) and turn off the lights.

Traci said...

Hey, I have seen that house