Sunday, November 30, 2008

Christmas Tree on Jasper Street

I was sitting the other night rather enjoying my Christmas decor in my living room.
The fireplace was burning, my Nativity scene was in tack for the moment ( no grand boys yet to kidnap baby Jesus ) I must say all I needed was some snow which by the way I am praying for to make it Christmas card perfect. At that moment I was taking back in time to a place long forgotten in my memory. I just love it when God brings those memories back. I like to call them a kiss on the cheek memory. Growing up for me was not a easy task nor always a good one, so I have ask Jesus to replace the bad memories with good ones, ones long forgotten or should I say over shadowed by the more difficult ones and He has done that several times. This trip back in time was no exception.
I was taken back to a time when Mom and myself lived in a apartment, which in its self was not the norm. We normally lived with someone,mostly my grandmother until she died. My older brother had just come home from Vietnam or was coming home ,I really don't recall, that would have make me about 4 0r 5 years old. Any way, I recall Mama spending hours on that Christmas tree. It was real and she hung those big old bulbs one strand at a time,carefully putting them just in the right place. She then hung the balls the same way and I remember just watching in amazement as it came together. Then came the ice sickles, one at a time, it seem like it took forever for her to get done with. Do you know how many ice sickles there are in those packs? It felt like a million.But after several HOURS she finally hung the last one.Then she did something I have never saw her do again and I myself have never tried to duplicate it. She took with such love and precise care and cupped angel hair around each one of those big ole lights on that tree that seem to stretch to the ceiling. When she had completed that the lights gave off a warm glow that I can honestly say have never seen again.On any other tree I have seen sense. By this time every small child had gathered at the outside of the window and was looking with amazement. That tree was beautiful masterpiece created by my Mom, by this time the front door was open and kids just starting coming inside to take a look at it. I remember now all the ohs and awes and I think my Mom even smiled. I did not get to help her that year decorated the tree and don't know why,she normally let me put those ice sickles on, but I am kinda glad she didn't. I don't know if I would have recall all those details if I had helped and not just watched. So as I sit and look at my Christmas tree that by no comparison holds a light to that tree on Jasper Street. is is pretty just the same, and I am really glad I put it up. Because I saw that excited ment in Cole,Jonah,and Judah's eye when they saw it for the first time,much like the the excitement I recall seeing in those neighbor kids eyes when they came in and looked at that tree my Mom decorated that year. How excited and proud I was, and as that memory fades away hopefully to recall again another time, it fades with my Mom Turing her head oh so slightly my way and smiling.
Wow what a great kiss on the cheek. Thanks Jesus.

No comments: