Monday, August 18, 2008

For Better or Worse

Today is my wedding anniversary and I think back on that day 31 years ago.
How hectic the day was and how I got mad at my husband for working on our wedding day, he did get off early but he did work, and today we went off to work as well.
So I reflect on that man of mine and here are some things that comes to mind.
He loves his dogs. Past and present.And one of the few times I have seen him cry was over a dog. He says that the unconditional love they have for their owners reminds him of how Jesus feels about us. No matter how bad we treat Jesus he keeps coming back to us to try and get us to love him as much as he loves us. Strange theology but oh so true.
He don't waste his time on fake people, I find over the years that it is the genuine people that have lasted in his life.
He is a honest man, and that honesty was enforced with a iron fist as my children were raised. and he feel that same way today.
He will do anything he can for someone as long as they do not know it was him, he aids and helps in secret, bringing No attention to himself, and there are many things he has done for people that they do not know to this day that he was behind it.
( He who is last, will be first )
He is his own worst enemy when he messes up and I have seen him make himself physically ill beating his self up over things that he has goofed on.
He loves the out doors and loves to fish and truly finds peace with God when he is on a lake, or hunting for arrow heads.
He is the hardest working man I have ever met, my daddy was another one, but even daddy took time off, not Neil unless he is forced to, which has lead to the stability of my home and my children and now for that I am grateful, I could not see it back then but do now.He has confessed that he wishes he had taken more time off when Sugar and Jason were younger but in his mind at that time, his working was doing what was best for his family.
He thinks a hand shake is better than a signature and he feels that a man should be able to talk to another man face to face if there is a problem and get it resolved, and once that has been done it is done ( I pout )
He is not fancy and often don't even comb his hair he says that it is not what is on the outside but what is inside a mans heart that counts.
He is without doubt a man of integrity.
He loves his children, I see it by how he has taught them to be as he would say " good people" and how he has sacrificed for them personally over the years things that many people dont even know.He loves his grandchildren, that is clear by the way he smiles at them when they come over and by the time that he spends with them.
and I believe he loves me too, heck he even signed my card this year.:):)
He is not with out spot or blemish by no means but the good certainly out weighs the bad.
I hear people say all the the time that there husband is there best friend, Neil is not my best friend, to me that term is to generalized and often over stated and abused kinda like the word love, I love Jesus and I love ice cream how can you put them in the same category??? Neil is my husband and my mate and that carries allot of weight and responsibility. A friend cuts you slack, my husband helps hold me accountable and helps hold me up.The word husband is what he is and defines who he is to me.
Yes that is my Husband and after all these years he carries that title with my up most honor and respect and loving him is easy because of that.
Happy Anniversary old man, thank you for allowing me to be your wife.

1 comment:

majorshouse said...

I think that this is so awesome and I love the analogy that you have given to him. I know that I have not always been the best husband to Sue, but do try on a daily basis and it is so hard to live up to those vows. I think it is truly remarkable that you have been married that long in a time where a commitment is no longer a valid concern. I hope and pray that you have many more years together with Neal.
Lin and Sue